WRGB Search Results
Schenectady house leveled by apparent gas explosion
SCHENECTADY - A state search team was in Schenectady Sunday looking for possible victims in the debris after a house exploded at 310 Paige Street. Public Safety Commissioner Wayne Bennett said as of 10:30 p.m. there was no sign of anyone having been in the building. The explosion happened around 2:30 in the afternoon.
Neighbors told CBS6 and police investigators they have been smelling natural gas in that area over the last week. Bennett was looking into a report that a National Grid crew was seen there Saturday. He said National Grid had no indication a crew has been there Saturday. Bennett said if a crew had smelled gas it would have triggered an automatic call to the fire department.
The building was vacant but neighbors say they woould often see people going in and out of it. Neighbors told one investigator the people who went in there are "crackheads".
Members of the NY State Urban Search and Rescue team were there with dogs, looking and sniffing for any sign of people inside.
Two hours after the blast there was still an active gas leak that prompted police to keep people away from the house. A few people who live within fifty feet of 310 Paige were evacuated.
Investigators were still trying to find out what sparked the explosion.
Deputy Chief Vincent Krawiecki talks about the scene after a possible gas explosion leveled a home on Paige Street Sunday night. Crews have evacuated a 100 radius around the reported explosion.
You can see that interview in our Raw Video section here: http://bit.ly/1ykI7KK