WRGB Search Results
Coroner perplexed by Ohio teen's caffeine overdose
LAGRANGE, Ohio (AP) -- A northern Ohio coroner says he was perplexed by a healthy high school student's death until testing of a white powdery substance found at his home came back as caffeine.
Logan Stiner was a senior at Keystone High School in LaGrange, southwest of Cleveland. He died suddenly at home on May 27, a week before his graduation.
Lorain County coroner Stephen Evans says the powder caused the 18-year-old Stiner to have a cardiac arrhythmia and a seizure, which killed him. Evans says an autopsy last week showed the teenager had a lethal amount of caffeine in his blood.
The coroner says Stiner had more than 70 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of blood in his system. He says a typical coffee drinker would have 3 to 5 micrograms.