Channel 6 News - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Foul smell gone, anger lingers in Cohoes

COHOES-- A day after a smell of chemicals lingered over the City of Cohoes the mayor is still smoldering over the way the situation was handled.

Late Wednesday night a smell hovered over the City of Cohoes, some described it as nail polish remover. It wasn't until 45 minutes after the smell started did the city figure out where it came from, said Mayor George Primeau.

A nearby manufacturer, Norlite, took responsibility after they said the chemicals they were burning seeped out through their ventilation system.

There was no problem with the accident but Primeau said he did have an issue with the fact the company did not notify the city nor did they let concerned residents know their health was not at risk.

"You have people in state of shock," Primeau said. "With things like Facebook a few people get on and next thing you know you have a panic."

A public relations firm was hired by Norlite. A representative reached out to CBS6 saying a prepared statement would be sent, however one was not received.

State DEC officials are investigating the incident and will be testing the chemicals to confirm they were not toxic. 




 
 
Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!