WRGB Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Ariel Castro pleads guilty in Ohio kidnap case


By ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS
AP Legal Affairs Writer

CLEVELAND -- A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has pleaded guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.
 
Ariel Castro pleaded guilty Friday to 937 counts. In exchange, prosecutors are recommending the 53-year-old be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.
 
Castro says a pornography addiction and "sexual problem" have taken a toll on his mind. He also says he was sexually abused as a child.
 
A judge accepted the pleas and declared Castro guilty. Sentencing is Aug. 1.
 
Castro had been awaiting trial on a 977-count indictment. The allegations include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.
 
The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They escaped from Castro's house May 6.
 

   AP-WF-07-26-13 1642GMT