WRGB Search Results
Rare 1750s powder horn donated to Fort Ticonderoga
TICONDEROGA -- A rare powder horn carried by a Connecticut soldier during the French and Indian War has been donated to Fort Ticonderoga in upstate New York.
Officials at the tourist attraction in the eastern Adirondacks say the powder horn belonged to Robert Fairchild of Middletown, Conn.
He was a private serving in Connecticut provincial regiments in the Lake George region from 1756 to 1759, when the British and French were battling for control of North America.
The powder horn was engraved in August 1756 at the British army camp on the southern end of Lake George, where colonial troops were building Fort William Henry.
The artifact as donated by a woman who saw the fort's curator discuss an unrelated powder horn on the PBS series "History Detectives" earlier this year.