Channel 6 News - Search Results
Hero janitor saves choking student
COLONIE -- A janitor at the Roessleville Elementary School in the South Colonie School District is being called a hero after saving a first grader's life last week.
The little girl was choking on her lunch of nachos in the cafeteria. Steve O'Connor told CBS6 on Wednesday that he was emptying the trash when he saw her stand up, hold her throat, and start to turn red. He then rushed to the rescue.
"I asked her if she was chocking, she shook her head. So, I ended up patting her on the back three times, see if she was okay and then she started turning blue and I noticed that she wasn't doing good, so I ripped her out of the table, turned her around and gave her the Heimlich maneuver twice. The nacho chip ended up coming out and she started gasping for air and started crying so I knew she was okay," O'Connor said.
"By the time she was to me, her color was good, her lungs were clear, she was totally calm about the whole thing," said school nurse Judy DeVaney.
This isn't the first time that a janitor at this elementary school has saved the day. In 2001, Doug Hutton was working a night shift when he heard screaming in the gym during a men's basketball league. He used an AED to revive a player.