Channel 6 News - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Two explosions at Boston Marathon finish line

UPDATE -- 8:30 PM -- Police Commissioner Ed Davis confirmed that three people have now died, but didn't provide any details. 
More than 130 have been injured - some losing arms and legs, while others had broken bones, shrapnel wounds, and ruptured eardrums.
Earlier, President Obama said that the US does not know who carried out the explosions or why, but vowed that the person responsible will "feel the full weight of justice."  He added, "We will find out who did this and we will hold them accountable."

UPDATE -- 5:10 PM -- A law enforcement official said that cell phone service has been shut down in the Boston area to prevent any potential remote explosive detonations.

UPDATE -- 5:05 PM -- The Boston Police Department just wrapped up a press conference where they described a third explosion at the JFK Library.
Police Commissioner Edward Davis said that authorities did not know if it was related to the other explosions, but are treating it as such.  He said that there were no injuries from the third explosion.
The FAA has ordered a 3.5 mile no-fly zone over the site of the explosions on Boylston Street. 

UPDATE -- 4:25 PM:
WASHINGTON -- Intelligence official: 2 more explosive devices found at Boston Marathon; being dismantled.

UPDATE -- 4:15 PM -- The Boston Police Department just tweeted that there have been two confirmed fatalities, along with 23 injuries.

By JIMMY GOLEN / AP Sports Writer

BOSTON -- Two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon have resulted in injuries.
Bloody spectators were being carried Monday to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners. Police wove through competitors as they ran back toward the course.
"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.
About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.
Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!