Channel 6 News - Search Results
Gloversville fire caused by child playing with lighter
GLOVERSVILLE - Fire investigators have determined a child playing with a lighter started a fire that killed a Gloversville man.
Fire heavily damaged 34 Fifth Avenue in Gloversville back in the morning hours of March 20, 2013. Three children inside escaped. Fire crews rescued Donald Larimore from the kitchen and transported him to the hospital, where he later died of smoke inhalation. Marcus VanSlyke was also transported to the hospital where he was treated and released.
An investigation revealed the home had one smoke detector, but was missing a battery. The fire started when a child playing with a lighter set fire to a blanket in the living room on the first story of the house.
The Gloversville Fire Department stresses the need to have working smoke detectors inside and outside every sleeping area and on every level of your home.
They also stress to keep lighters and matches out of reach from children.