WRGB Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Response time, code questioned in Cohoes fire

The Saturday fire at 92 Manor Avenue in Cohoes, that sent an upstairs resident out onto the roof seeking rescue, remains under investigation.  Fire chief Joe Fahd says they may never know what caused it due to the extent of the damage done in the rear of the home where the fire started.  He does say the residents admitted to smoking on the back deck.

Some area residents questioned the response team of the fire department.  Fahd says they arrived just 3 minutes after receiving the first call.  He adds that the fire appeared to have been burning for some time before that call came in.

The upstairs resident, Angela Murphy, had to break a window and climb onto the roof, after her only exit was blocked by fire.  CBS 6 checked with Cohoes code enforcement and found that second floor units only require one point of egress.  A third floor unit would require a second exit.