CBS6 hosted a town hall event 'Guns in America' on Thursday, January 31st at 7:30 p.m. Five panelists and our studio audience had a responsible discussion about balancing the second amendment with calls to tighten gun control in New York and across this country in the wake of several mass shootings.
Our studio audience and panel included those who are for, against, and undecided on the recent passing of the New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act (S.A.F.E. Act). Our panel answered questions and responded to audience members during the discussion.
The CBS6 Town Hall Panel
- Assemblyman Phil Steck : Former Assistant District Attorney in Rensselaer County and State Assemblyman to the 110th District which includes Colonie, Niskayuna, and parts of Schenectady.
- Assemblyman Steve McLaughlin : Assemblyman to Senate District 107 which includes parts of Rensselaer, Columbia and Washington counties.
- Glenn Liebman : CEO of Mental Health Association of New York State, an organization that works to promote mental health and recovery, raise public awareness and advocate for equality.
- Charlie Samuels : Founding member of Saratogians For Gun Safety, an organization that advocates reasonable gun control.
- Davis Petronis : Mechanicville gun shop owner, and president of the New EastCoast Arms Collectors Associates which organizes gun shows, such as the Saratoga Springs Arms Fair in January.
- Town Hall Moderator: Mark Hyman