Top Stories
 
text size

Coroner perplexed by Ohio teen's caffeine overdose

Updated: Wednesday, July 2 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
LAGRANGE, Ohio (AP) -- A northern Ohio coroner says he was perplexed by a healthy high school student's death until testing of a white powdery substance found at his home came back as caffeine.

Logan Stiner was a senior at Keystone High School in LaGrange, southwest of Cleveland. He died suddenly at home on May 27, a week before his graduation.

Lorain County coroner Stephen Evans says the powder caused the 18-year-old Stiner to have a cardiac arrhythmia and a seizure, which killed him. Evans says an autopsy last week showed the teenager had a lethal amount of caffeine in his blood.

The coroner says Stiner had more than 70 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of blood in his system. He says a typical coffee drinker would have 3 to 5 micrograms.
Coroner perplexed by Ohio teen's caffeine overdose


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

 
Advertise with us!
Sponsored content