Weather Alert

FROST - FREEZE ADVISORIES UP FOR PARTS OF THE REGION TONIGHT

Some higher elevated areas have already seen frost in the past week, but tonight will likely be the coolest so far this season, and frost is expected to be more widespread, including some lower elevations. Frost is not expected in the Capital Region, or southern Hudson Valley, but will be likely in cooler locations. Delicate plants should be protected or brought inside where possible.

WEATHER ALERT


Weather Alert Radar

The Real Deal

The Real Deal

 
text size

The Real Deal: Unemployment line busy and some not getting through

Updated: Thursday, April 10 2014, 01:49 PM EDT

ALBANY a More people are out of work locally than ever before and the Department of Labor is working overtime to try and provide benefits.  January was one of the busiest month on record at the unemployment office.  The Department of Labor took 500,000 phone calls in the month of January from folks who had questions about their unemployment benefits; thatas a 35% increase compared to January 2012.  Because of the increase in calls, the time that any given caller will wait on-hold to speak to a live operator has jumped from 7 minutes to 11 minutes. 


 


Marc Hitchcock of Watervliet has been looking for work for a year, aI used to feel bad even trying to call for benefits until I realized, wow, I'm having trouble and I really need the benefits,a he says.  Heas been collecting weekly benefits while he sends out resumes and goes out on interviews.  Four weeks ago though, the benefits stopped appearing in his bank account and an online message directed him to call the labor department.   aIave been calling for four weeks now and I haven't been able to get through to a human-beinga|the message always says I can leave my number and they will call me back, 11 times I've scheduled call backs that have never come,a Hitchcock says.


 


When Hitchcock called CBS6 for help, our Investigative Reporter reached out to the labor department to see what the problem was.  A spokesman for the NYS Labor Department, Leo Rosales, says state technicians have since uncovered an issue with the automated system recognizing telephone connections with voice-over-internet phone services.  The Hitchcockas use MagicJack for their telephone service, athat connection, our system wasn't able to recognize so we are looking into that to see whatever adjustments and refinements we can make to our system so that way the calls will work,a Rosales says.


 


At the moment, the labor department isnat sure how far reaching the problem is but Rosales suggests anyone with VoIP or digital phone service use a cell phone or traditional landline when calling into the unemployment line to ensure their numbers are being recognized. 95% of the people who leave their number on the automated service get a call back, according to Rosales but the other 5%, or 25,000 people in January, have run into some issues.

The Real Deal: Unemployment line busy and some not getting through


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

Hello and thank you for stopping by The Real Deal web-page! I'm hoping you'll find some useful information here. I (Jennifer Lewke) will be updating this page daily to bring you the latest news on anything and everything that may impact your wallet. Whether it's a bad business trying to rip you off, a contractor who took your money and ran, the government wasting your tax dollars, or a telemarketer who just won't stop calling, my goal is to uncover it and hopefully prevent it from happening again!

On the right-hand side of this page, you'll see a section labled "Links" --these will all take you to websites for organizations that help protect consumers. Most of the groups have the authority to fine or shut down bad businesses so it's important to file the proper complaints to get some action.

I'm happy to look into any issue you have to get you the Real Deal. You can reach me anytime at (518) 381-4992 or by email at jlewke@wrgb.com. I hope to hear from you soon!

Top Stories

 
Advertise with us!

Links

  • New York State Attorney General's Office
    Consumer complaints against a business or service in New York state


  • Federal Trade Commission
    Consumer complaints against a nation-wide company


  • New York Public Service Commission
    Consumer complaints about utility companies


  • Consumer Finanical Protection Bureau
    Consumer complaints about a bank, credit card company, or loan company


  • New York State Division of Consumer Protection
    Identity theft and scam protection


  • Phishing Scams
    How to protect yourself from phishing scams


  • Free Credit Reports
    Everyone is entitled to one free copy of a credit report from each of the three credit reporting bureaus once a year


  • Unsolicited Emails
    To check out unsolicited emails


  • Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York
    Free legal advice